Tuesday, June 1, 2010

6 months post surgery...

Well, 6 months have passed since my surgery date in November. I made it through the 7 weeks of radiation treatment and after 4 weeks post treatments I finally began feeling "normal" again. My 6 month follow up mammogram was scheduled for May 25, 2010. I of course had this scheduled at the Charleston Breast Center (remember...never going back to Trident!).

The Mammogram started off fine, until they called me back in the 2nd time around for more pictures. I simply asked the tech "Did they find something?". She said yes, they had found another calcification area, this time on the right side. Surprising? Kind of. But at the same time I knew it could always be a possibility. I met with Dr. Lisa Baron, the Radiologist (and wife of my surgeon, Dr. Paul Baron) after all the pictures were taken. She showed me exactly where they found the "spot" on my right tata. I guess I just needed to see "proof" that there was a calcification deposit there. It looked exactly like the one they found on my left side back in October. Good news was that it was only about 2mm round. Last fall, the spot was about 3mm round. Dr. Baron was so wonderful and patient with me as she showed me all the pictures and told me what everything was I was seeing. She said she would like to biopsy the area to be sure of what it is. I said no problem and then proceeded to tell her about my previous biopsy experience. She was horrified at what had happened to me and quickly assured me it would not happen there. She made notes on my chart about needing the extra pain medication right away. That was a relief, to know that she truly took my comments to heart and was not going to let me feel anything!

So today, June 1, 2010 I had my second breast biopsy. I didn't sleep much last night and Benton asked me last night why I was in a bad mood. Stress honey, just stress. We are blessed to have wonderful friends around the corner who welcomed Jesse & Dylan to their home at 7:15am. My appointment was scheduled for 8:15am. When we arrived at the Breast Center we signed in and they quickly called me back. Dr. Baron and her staff started the procedure at 8:45am. It was simply astounding how different of an experience I had today compared to the experience at Trident.

I laid on my right side, in a very comfortable position, with a blanket under my head, a blanket between my knees and a blanket keeping me warm. The side of the bed I was on dropped off so that the machine could be slid up next to me. They used a large ace bandage kind of thing to hold my left breast back out of the way while they put my right breast in compression. It only took the techs 1 try to get me perfectly aligned for the procedure (remember at Trident it took them about 45 minutes!!!!!). Dr. Baron arrived and began the numbing medication. I only felt a small prick with that. A few moments later she asked if I could feel anything. It felt like they were inserting a piece of fishing wire through me but there was no pain. They gave me more novicane and within 5 min started the biopsy. I honestly didn't feel anything. I heard the noise of the machine and that was it. The mechanism they use to extract the tissue was quite fascinating. First you hear the "zipping" sound of the needle pulling out the tissue and immediately after that they gave me another dab of pain med, then more tissue extraction, then more pain med, etc. Technology is amazing (wonder why Trident didn't do that?). The biopsy was over in about 5 minutes, they took a few more pictures and then I was done. I laid on my back applying pressure to the area where the needle was inserted for about 15 minutes. Believe it or not I asked Dr. Baron if I could see what they took out of me....she showed me! It was like a long fat piece of spaghetti noodle covered in gooey white & red stuff. I thought it was really cool to be able to see the tissue.

So after cleaning the betadine off my skin, and covering me back up, it was back to the mammogram machine for a few pictures, 3 to be exact. They needed to make sure the mini clip had been inserted correctly at the area where they removed the tissue from. This assures that, in the event I need surgery again, they will know exactly what area to remove more tissue from.

Once done with the final pictures, Dr. Baron met Benton and I in the consultation room. I had a huge smile on my face when I saw Benton and just simply said, "This was 500 times better than my last experience! Wow - it was painless!" Dr. Baron assured us that we will have the results of the biopsy by tomorrow, June 3rd, no later than 5pm. A huge thanks to Sandy & Kari who were the techs with me the whole time during the procedure! You both have a wonderful bedside manner with patients! Showing the kind of love and compassion you do towards your patients is simply priceless!

Restrictions I have for now...no lifting, no exercising, no swimming for at least 3 days. Ibuprofen will be my friend for the next few days as well. They told me to expect much soreness tomorrow and probably some bruising.

We left Charleston, picked up the boys, came home, and Benton and I both took a 2 hour nap as best as we could with a major thunder storm rolling through and the sounds of Jesse & Dylan playing the Wii. We resumed our family Monopoly game we had begun last night and just put it this way, I am so glad I am the "family money manager" in our home! :)

A dear family who are wonderful friends of our brought us the perfect summer dinner tonight so I didn't have to worry about cooking. Angela & Brian - you guys are such loving, kind, and gracious friends! The homemade chicken salad and berry dessert was perfect tonight! Thank you so much!

I'm starting to feel the pain meds wearing off - you can tell they gave me alot since it has taken almost 8 hours for me to start feeling anything! Already got the Ibruprofen in my system in hopes it will take the "edge" off tonight and tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for your continued prayers. Norm, Angela, Jody, Rita, Jody, Ruth, Christy, Amy, Kelly, Debbi, Kim, Krista, Dorette, Kimberly, Garrett (see note at end of this post!)...too many more to name all of you. You know who you are though and I simply say thank you. We have the most dedicated group of prayer warriors around! Love you all!

I'll be sure to update my blog later this week when I have the results of the biopsy! Until then...just keep praying, just keep praying, just keep praying!

Note: A sweet prayer from Garrett Knight, May 29, 2010 (10 yrs old), "Jesus, I pray for Mrs. Tammy that she does not itch her lump and spread it all over her and give it to Dylan and Jesse and that you would take her lump and throw it away." Thank you Garrett, I luv ya buddy!

0 comments: