Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Roper Rocks - Part 2

Hello again, sorry it has been a while since my last post. I get so caught up in my daily routine that I've been forgetting to write on my blog.


I have 2 more radiation treatments left, today and tomorrow. Everything is still going fine with the exception of some discomfort on my left side. I have begun to blister a little and it is quite annoying. Kind of like I have been sun bathing on a nude beach and everything is covered except my left tata. I'm really red, a little swollen, and am peeling with some blisters too. Not very attractive if you ask me. Also, my left tata has actually shrunk a little...now I feel your pain HG! Best news I heard from the Radiologist so far though was to NOT wear a bra as much as possible. What a "freeing" report! :) It's chilly here in SC now so at least I'm not just wearing a t-shirt around town...it's easy to disguise, put it that way! :)



I'm writing the rest of this post as a letter to the staff at Roper. It's hard to believe that tomorrow is my last day of treatment. The past 7 weeks have flown by. Much of the time passing is in thanks to the incredible staff in the Roper Radiation & Oncology department. Words cannot express my gratitude, love, and thanks I have for everyone I have met there and everyone who has been involved in my treatment. A few names stand out in the crowd but everyone was amazing.


Jason Gregory (aka Mario) & Heather Phillips - what can I say...the laughter and fun we have shared will never be forgotten. The 2 of you have the most wonderful bedside manners towards your patients. Jason, you are one the most gentle, caring, fun, sincere, and kind people I've met. I truly felt like you "took care of me" and that you genuinely were concerned about me, not only getting the treatments done right, but that I was OK (so many coughing fits, sorry!). Heather, thanks for sincerely getting to know me and my family. I love sharing stories with you. You too are one of the most genuine, caring, fun, happy, and sweet people at Roper. I wish I could do more for you guys besides make chocolate chip cookies. Perhaps I'll surprise you with a visit sometime and maybe we could all go to lunch (sugar-free lunch of course!). Oh yea..Heather, they sell Casual perfume at Perfumania in Northwoods Mall (hehehe!).


Allie Capers & Chris Dukes, my nurses - WOW! The best way to define the two of you is by saying you make an amazing team who truly seems to understand what the patient is going through and how to comfort us, guide us, and encourage us along the way. I love the honesty you shared with me throughout the weeks. I knew I could ask you anything and that you would give me a candid truthful response without "holding back". You guys Rock!!!!!


Chris Bucknam, Chad Rouse and Shawn Carter (aka Luigi), 3 more of the Radiation Techs - you all are kind, sweet and in a way, "relaxing" to be around. Definitely loved your sweetness and kindness during the first few weeks of treatment. Chad, be sure to check out the Summerville Art Walk...maybe I'll see you there sometime! And Chad, go easy on the markings OK? Let your son do the creative coloring side of things OK? :) Shawn, just rip it off, like a band-aid...don't try to be so delicate with the stickers!


Sheilah Hill & Brooks Cannon - only got to see you guys a few times but it was a pleasure. Brooks, you took the time to explain to me so many details at my very first appointment. I'll never forget the fear in my mind and heart about Radiation and you took the time to comfort me and also give me a big hug to help me relax. After meeting you, I knew it would be OK. Thank for you that. Sheila, you are a nut! I love your accent and your "country spirit".


Josephine Stanley & Ruashannah Barnwell - What more beautiful faces and smiles could I ask for when I walk in the door??? And thanks for calling me Tammy, not Ms. Johns. You brightened my day as soon as I arrived. Just knowing I would be able to say hello to you guys each morning made me smile.


I think I've mentioned everyone. As I write this note I begin to tear up. It's obviously been an emotional few months for me but with the likes of y'all taking care of me it was so much easier to handle. The love I have received from each of you in your own special way is unmeasurable. It will be an emotional day for me tomorrow, not only because it is the culmination of my treatment period, but also because I will be saying farewell to all of you. I know I can come visit anytime and don't be surprised if I do. You all have almost become like family to me and it is always hard to say goodbye. I don't like the word goodbye so I'll simply say "until we meet again". I hope though, that when we do meet again, it will be under better circumstances...perhaps seeing one another out and about in the Charleston and Summerville communities.


I wish you all the best in life and want to share one of my favorite bible verses with you...

Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you; plans to give you hope and a future." I will be praying that the Lord blesses each and every one of you. I thank God for you all and may He bless you abundantly!

Tammy Johns

0 comments: