Monday, January 25, 2010

Final Stretch...

Today was my 20th radiation treatment...13 more to go. If I'm calculating correctly, my last treatment will be on Thursday Feb 11th. Just in time for Benton and I to celebrate our 12th Wedding Anniversary on Valentine's Day! I already made reservations for us to go out to dinner on the 13th. Hard to believe it has already been 12 years since we tied the knot!

Treatments are going same as always, very quick & easy. Last week I had some "exhausting" days so I took advantage of the quiet house during the school hours and tried to catch up on some sleep. For the most part I'm doing great. Came down with a very sore throat this past Friday night and asked Kris the nurse about it today. She said that sometimes, depending on the depth and placement of the radiation, it could touch the esophogas (sp?). Not in my case though so that was good news. Guess I've just caught a little bug. Hasn't gotten any better yet so if it persists I'll be calling my regular MD. Just hope it's not something serious like strep throat. I would assume that the radiation treatments do compromise my immune system a little. I never get sick so perhaps that is why now I am.

Feels like Spring is in the air here in Summerville. I know all you Michigan & Maine friends don't like to hear that. We had a very loud windy storm come through last night that drenched everything. Thought even that perhaps my appt this morning may have been cancelled due to flooding in downtown Charleston. Apparently, because Charleston is right at sea level, or just slightly above it, whenever there is a large rain storm the streets downtown flood very easily. I made it there and back just fine though.

I'm looking foward to the next few weeks going by quickly. Next step after radiation is to meet with an oncologist to determine whether or not she recommends being on Tamoxophin. Not big on that idea at all. Hoping she says it is not necessary and that we can discuss other possible ideas. I'm working closely with my chiropractor to get my body back to "normalcy". Taking some natural supplements and following a very strict no sugar eating plan. It sure is hard! Trust me, there are many nights that I really want to make some cookie dough!

My meals for the day typically are consisting of organic oatmeal w/whole organic milk and cinnamon, organic turkey slices, a cheese stick, and blue corn tortilla chips for lunch, and then a good dinner that is somewhat normal for our family - tonight I'm roasting a chicken and serving it with organic broccoli. Hardest part is not putting the sugar in my coffee. Oh yea, we switched to Decaf coffee too (don't tell Benton, not sure he has figured it out yet!). We are trying Agave Nectar as a sweetener...it's not bad, but expensive for a small amount.

Should be a fun weekend around here. Dylan turns 8 on Friday and he is having his birthday celebration at an art studio in downtown Summerville where he has been taking art lessons. Saturday is another basketball day with Jesse's Upward team...always fun & exciting! Sunday is our day to enjoy our church family and worship the Lord together in corporate worship & praise. Sunday is always an uplifting and rejuevenating day for me. Even if I'm feeling down I know that going to church is the best thing for me!

Time to check on the chicken...smells so good I can already taste it! Thanks to everyone for checking in and keeping up to date through my blog. I wish you all a very blessed day!
Tammy

0 comments: