Thursday, December 31, 2009

P's & Q's of Radiation...

P = Painless and Q=Quick...simple as that! I have had 4 treatments this week and so far, so good. I could make the drive to Roper and back again blindfolded by now. I know every bump and pothole on 26 (yes, northern folks...we do have potholes down south too!).

As soon as I arrive at Radiation & Oncology I check in, change into a top gown, and moments later they call me back to the room. I know the routine pretty well now so I go ahead and get positioned as best as I can on the table. The radiation techs adjust me if they need to and then they leave the room. The actually time it takes for the treatment is about 5 minutes, if that. I actually tried counting today...1 one thousand, 2 one thousand, 3 one thousand and came up with about 1 minute. Some of the time is the movement of the machine into different positions. I can't feel anything during the treatment and with the exception of a little tenderness on my left breast, all is good. I need to apply lotion or Aquafor 2-3 times a day all over the treatment area as a precaution to avoid "sun burning" effects.

Apparently the first 3 weeks are a breeze and the 2nd 3 weeks is when I may start feeling the effects...exhaustion, dry skin, scaly skin, and possibly some blistering. So long as I continue to apply the lotion regularly I may be able to avoid lots of discomfort in a few weeks.

I know almost all the techs, nurses, and staff by first name now (imagine that huh?). They are all so kind, funny & friendly. Roper is a wonderful place and it's no wonder why they are the top rated hospital in the area.

We are laying low tonight for New Year's Eve...watching some movies and building a fire in the fireplace. We actually have a wood burning fireplace in our new house. I forgot about how much I love the ambiance of a real fire crackling!

I wish you all a joyous, properous and healthy 2010! Remember again Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you" declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

Oh yea, yesterday I took a detour home and went to the Earth Fare market on Folly Road. EVERYTHING in there is organic, I mean everything! Pricy, yes, but organic and so fresh! The salmon and broccoli we had last night was outstanding. Both boys devoured it and said they could have that every night. I told them they had to get a job if they wanted to have salmon every night!

Time to chill out and enjoy the rest of the evening with my wonderful family. Happy New Year everyone! Talk to you next year!
Tammy

0 comments: