Thursday, October 29, 2009

MRI Moments...

Left the house bright & early this morning to drop boys off at school then head back down to the Cancer Center of Charleston for my MRI. I arrived at 7:50am for my 8:00am appt and they called me in immediately to get it done! Don't you love it when God makes your morning work so smoothly!

First step was to explain the process to me. They gave me a quick snack just in case I might feel some nausea from the dye they would inject into me. The two ladies helping me were so pleasant, kind, and personable. I love it when I feel comfortable around the staff. Next step was to put in an iv tube for the dye. First gal couldn't find a good vein on the left arm so the 2nd gal found it immediately on my right. No big deal at all!

Into the room we go and wow, what a crazy looking machine. I layed on my stomach on the table with both breasts hanging down. Believe it or not the table was quite comfortable. The procedure would be loud though so they gave me ear plugs and headphones with my choice of radio station playing (100.5 - HIS Radio). Unfortunately during the actual pictures being taken I could barely hear the songs since the machine makes loud clicking noises. However, in between the 5 rounds of pictures I did get to hear some of my favorite Christian Praise & Worship Songs. The 2 gals would talk to me after each series of pictures was taken...one took 30 seconds, one took 8 min, and there were 3 others in between. All in all it was a very easy procedure. The informed me when they would inject the dye. I immediately felt a very cool sensation run up my arm and over my shoulder. After that though, no sense of it at all. Not even a weird taste in my mouth or any nausea.

My left arm was asleep from laying with my arms over my head for about 30 minutes so it took me a minute to get up after all was done. All in all it was a very easy procedure. I kept my eyes closed through the whole thing and even think I fell asleep for a few moments while the pictures were being taken.

They said I should receive a phone call either tomorrow or Friday with the results. Tomorrow is a crazy day for us though with the final walk-thru and closing on our new house. I'll be sure to update my blog as soon as I know the results. Now we wait for the results of the BRCA test to come back in about 1 1/2 weeks.

Oh yea, meant to write down the most important piece of information that was given to me when we met with the surgeon last Tuesday. The Physician Assistant, Jill, assured me that it was OK to be anxious however also assured me that my condition would not change at all over the next few weeks. Put it this way, it took a year for the calcification to form since my last Mammogram in 9/08. Waiting a few weeks for surgery is harmless! I really needed to hear that. It made all the difference in the world to me to know that simple fact.

OK, time to get some boxes packed and get some grocery shopping done. It is a gorgeous day here today! Praise the Lord for he is so good, all the time!

0 comments: