Thursday, October 22, 2009

The Results

On Monday 10/19/09 I hopefully waited for a phone call from either my Primary Care Physician (Dr. Nicole DeBerry, Palmetto Primary Care) or from Dr. McGue at Trident Breast Care Center. By 10:30am I had not recieved a phone call so I decided to call them. I talked to Dale Hutson, one of the nurses at Trident, and she informed me that there were cancerous cells in the sample. Hhhmmm, I thought, OK, how bad and what's the next step. She quickly informed me that the results were the best case scenario of the worst. The cancerous cells are contained inside the duct and have not spread outside the duct at this point. I was relieved to hear that. Most of all though I was relieved to have an answer. Waiting is no fun when you do not know! For those of you that know me, my first reaction was OK, let's get moving on getting this taken care of. Benton and I made an appt to sit down with my Primary Care doc that afternoon to get her opinion and referrals. All I kept thinking that day was PRAISE THE LORD FOR EARLY DETECTION AND TECHNOLOGY!!!! We got names of an Oncologist and Surgeons and were told that her office would get all the necessary paperwork and lab results to them first thing Tuesday morning.

Tuesday morning I began feeling anxious and wanted to get some appts as quickly as possible. Dr. DeBerry's office did exactly like she said. When I called they said everything had been taken care of and I could call to get the ball rolling.

Benton and I met with Dr. Gretchen Meyers, the Oncologist, on Wed 10/21/09 at noon. We spent a good hour talking with her and "interviewing" her. We both felt very comfortable with her. We asked for her opinion on some surgeon names that I had been referred to and she confirmed that by far the best surgeon in the area is Dr. Paul Baron with Cancer Center of Charleton. I have already scheduled an appt with Dr. Baron for next Tuesday 10/27/09. During this next appt I believe he will recommend a MRI and a blood test for the BRCA gene. If all goes well with the MRI I'm hoping to be able to have surgery to remove the tissue the following week. They are calling the surgery a lumpectomy even though there is technically no lump. Again, PRAISING THE LORD FOR EARLY DETECTION!!! I'm technically in pre-stage 1 cancer. God is so good, all the time!

0 comments: