Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Step by Step You Lead Me...

This morning Benton and I went to the Cancer Center of Charleston and met with Dr. Paul Baron. I once again woke up very early this morning with the knots in my stomach. However, as soon as we met with him, got some more information, and knew what the next step was the knots went away. It's almost like with each step we take getting to the finish line that my mind is more at ease and I continue to feel the presence of the Holy Spirit giving me the peace I need.

The appointment with Dr. Baron went very well. Everything he said and his Physician Assistant Jill said were positive. Again I must PRAISE THE LORD FOR EARLY DETECTION!!!!!! We scheduled the MRI for Thursday morning and I had blood drawn for the BRCA gene test. If the BRCA test comes back negative we'll proceed with scheduling a lumpectomy. If the BRCA test comes back positive we have a more complicated decision to make regarding surgery. When the BRCA gene is present in someone, it becomes a 50/50 chance that they would develop breast cancer and/or ovarian cancer in the future. If it does come back positive, the discussion of possible mastectomy(s) will begin. Dr. Baron did mention that the rate of a positive BRCA test returning is 1 in 350 women. Needless to say, the odds are pretty good but not certain that my test will come back negative. It takes up to 2 weeks to get the BRCA test results back. I will plan to meet with Dr. Baron again early next week to review the results of the MRI and pathology reports with him.

GOD IS SOOOOOO VERY GOOD! Here's my planning mind at work...so looks like the surgery will not be for a minimum of 3 weeks. We close on our new house this Friday, 10/30. That means that I'll be fully capable of cleaning and getting some stuff moved over to the new house! We will still be needing some muscles though to help us move over the big stuff. We'll begin working on a date for that soon and will be sure to let everyone know. Benton and I hope to get a head start of some stuff this coming weekend.

Remember everyone, everything will happen in His Timing, not ours. I remember thinking when I first found out about the cancer that I just wanted to get the surgery done and over with. However, look how God has laid out the next few weeks for us!!! Isn't he clever! And I must say he plans things out very well! Imagine having to keep track of all those personal calendars???

Thank you for the continued prayers and support everyone. I feel very much at peace now today knowing that the outcome of all this looks very positive. The Surgeon gave me a very positive prognosis. Even if the BRCA test comes back positive, my outcome should be great!

Step By Step You Lead Me, and I will follow you all of my days...

0 comments: