Thursday, October 22, 2009

Telling the boys...

Tuesday night I began feeling like I was hiding a secret from the boys. They knew that Mommy had been going back and forth to doctor appts but they didn't know why. Benton wanted to wait longer to tell them but I didn't think it was fair to them. We sat down together and began telling them what was going on.

I told them about why Mommy has been going to so many doctor appts. I told them that Mommy has a disease that the doctor needs to take out of her body. I told them it was in my breast and showed them the incision from the biopsy. They were very understanding. Jesse, our very smart 4th grader quickly said "What's the name of the disease Mommy?". I won't lie to my children so I told them it was Breast Cancer. I told them how blessed we were to catch it so early though and that Mommy is going to be fine.

My fear for my children is that another child at school might say something harmful to them about cancer. I told them to try not to discuss with other kids but that they could talk to their teachers about it. Both of them were fine after we discussed this with them. They asked whose house they got to go to after school when I have surgery. We are so thankful for the friends we have here in Summerville who have helped us so much already...you know who you are so I do not need to name you.

Jesse & Dylan, I love you both so very much. You are the sunshine of my days and I can't wait to watch you grow every day, every month and every year! The laughter and joy you bring to my life is priceless. Your smiles and beautiful eyes tell me how blessed I am to be your Mother!

0 comments: